Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Less Is More


Photo taken from www.guitarfixation.com

I think often we get carried away with lots of gear that we forget the focus, which is whether all the gear is actually adding a positive value to your sound and tone. More overdrive pedals does not always mean you have a better overdriven guitar tone. Of course, if they are used wisely, they can contribute to an awesome tone. Having a large pedal board also means you may need to do tap dancing during your set and sometimes you may just hit the wrong pedal at the wrong time during your set or song and it could be diabolical.

I've always liked the idea of having many guitar effects pedals, analogue or digital, the more the merrier but over the years, I've learnt how to scale things down, make things simple and yet have good tone. It makes it easier to lug gear around and it makes it faster to set up which means more time to rock & roll!

At the end of the day, I find that you can make the best of what you have, even tough it is less. Don't get me wrong though, if you have plenty of gear, it is great, as long as it gets you the results you want, that's all that matters. I think my goldfish memory just can't handle remembering what pedal to stomp on at which time in the song. So I'll stick to simple.

2 comments:

  1. thats not playing the guitar mate...that is tap dancing...

    i go digital. My trusty Line6 POD Studio UX1 that comes with POD Farm is all i need.

    It is not like i play live anyway....so....I get to reamp as well!!!

    nice post!
    -dan-

    ReplyDelete
  2. pedalboard on steroids.

    ReplyDelete