Wednesday, September 2, 2009

As the primary songwriter in my band, it generally falls on me to construct new original songs to play. What usually happens is that I will have a moment of inspiration (usually induced by a state of sleep deprivation) and write the chord structure, lyrics and melody of a new piece. I then take it to rehearsal with the band and excitedly exclaim: “guys! guys! I’ve got a new song to work on!” Not that I mind this, as song writing isn’t so much of a chore, but a release or media of expression for myself. However, having attempted to pen a few recently (not to suggest that they are any good or otherwise) I came up with a slight dilemma…

Do lyrics have to make sense…?

I mean, I suppose that truth is that they don’t! My favourite nonsensical lyrics that come to mind at the moment are from The Beatles ‘I Am The Walrus’

Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday.
Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long.
I am the eggman (woo), they are the eggmen (woo), I am the walrus,
Coo coo, kachoo.


I mean seriously?!?! What the hell were you smoking and where can i get some? I guess what I want to know is, how much does the listener really care about the lyrics?

Do you just hum along to the melody such that we words themselves are irrelevant? Or do you want them to tell a story and not just convey emotion?

Does it matter if its all just a bunch of mashed up mambo jumbo you penned when you were high?

- Nigel Nobody

1 comment:

  1. I think, if your target audience gets high while listening to your music, then writing for them when you are high works, coz it doesn't make sense either way for both parties! They make their own sense out of it. HAHA.

    Over the past few years, melody catches me first. I can listen to a single album, every day for a whole year straight, and not know all the words to all the songs. I'd know the melodies and the hooks, but usually, it doesn't matter. But if the songs are that good, I'd look up the CD sleeve for the lyrics.

    On the other hand, I do dig in deep to lyrics, also coz I'm a song writer myself and I need to do some research. hehe. The Goo Goo Dolls are particularly my favourite, lyrics wise coz the meaning of the song often lies deeper than the surface of a first glance over them.

    ReplyDelete